Violence and abuse toward shop staff
In your opinion, has the issue of violence and abuse toward shop staff increased in recent years?
If you agree that the issue of violence and abuse toward shop staff has increased in recent years, please give reasons.
If you agree that the issue of violence and abuse toward shop staff has increased in recent years, please provide any data which you have to support this (including whether the data includes incidents not reported to the police).
Please provide any information you have on the nature of violence and abuse which is occurring and specify the type of store you operate/which was affected, for example:
- the types of incident which are occurring (for example assaults, threats), including whether they involve physical violence and whether they resulted in a physical injury or other harm
- when the incidents occurred (for example during the day)
- whether the incidents involved a weapon (for example a knife, corrosive substance)
- the circumstances within which the incidents occurred, including whether this was in the context of age-restricted sales (for example alcohol, knives) and/or any other contributory factors
- information about the perpetrators (for example how many, whether they are repeat offenders, whether they are known to the police, their age, whether they are part of a gang)
For retailers operating sites in more than one location, to what extent to you agree or disagree that this issue has affected all of your sites equally?
If no, are there any common factors between the sites affected (for example specific areas, are urban or rural areas more affected)? Please provide any data you have to support this.
Does your organisation/the organisation(s) you represent record incidents of violence and abuse which occur in your/their stores?
If yes, how are incidents recorded? Please provide any data which has not already been submitted in response to earlier questions.
What are the financial, administrative and other impacts of violence and abuse toward shop staff for your organisation/the organisations(s) you represent? Please include data where this is available and has not been provided in response to earlier questions (for example, estimates of loss of revenue, impacts on staff retention etc).
Please provide examples of any preventative measure which you have used or considered using, including any evidence of how effective these have been.
Are there any non-legislative preventative measures which the Government/businesses/the police or others could put in place, for example, to raise awareness? Please provide examples.
Are you aware of training/guidance/support which is provided to staff on how to handle potential or actual incidents of violence and abuse? Please provide examples, including any evidence of how effective this has been.